Sunday, April 18, 2010

Barley Takes a Backseat










I truly had every intention of making the Barley Casserole...then I realized (this afternoon, pre-cookage, that I had not soaked it overnight. Darn!
Instead I made the Hot Rice with Cold Lemon, Basil, and Tomato (HRCLBT) AND the Coffee Fudge Brownies. I figured that would be all the time my feet would allow me to stand. Crazy workouts today (ugh).

The HRCLBT was, again, really easy! I hesitate with rice because I always feel like I am going to make it too sticky, too hard, too moist, too dry (you get the picture). But- the recipe says to drain any excess water so that made me feel more confident going into this recipe. While the rice cooked I chopped the tomatoes (I forgot how good local tomatoes are--ate a few). The recipe calls for a 1/2 cup but since it also said "or as much as you want" I decided to add a full cup.
I bought a fresh basil plant from the Co-op yesterday so that was so fun to work with- smells sooo good!
The dish turned out just fine- looks fresh and summer-y and tastes just as fresh!

I made the Coffee Fudge Brownies for work a few months ago and the glaze hardened and the brownies were crumbly. It was still very good but since most the people at my work are used to solid brownies, I ended up eating most the dish.
This time I added granola instead of walnuts (just because I was outta walnuts) and the mixture seemed thicker as I stirred. I used brown rice syrup instead of the maple sugar and I believe the finished product is proof of that...
The brownies are still somewhat crumbly (though not as much as the first batch) but also not as sweet. Maybe I didn't add enough syrup? The glaze adds sweetness so it tastes like a dessert due to that reason.
I would love to hear how this recipe goes for someone else! Tips? Substitutions?

I had a long run today and am looking for fuel for my runs. Ever since I went to the "kind" side I have had trouble with endurance fuel. I found some energy bites called Simbree and those are okay but I would like to find something I can carry with me on runs that fuel similar to that of Gu. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I WILL soak the barley tonight...Barley Casserole tomorrow! I am holding off on the desserts for a while but may make the Cornbread!
Have a Kind Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment