Saturday, April 17, 2010

Couscous and PB Cups!










The Plan: To spend most the day cooking recipes from The Kind Diet to catch up from the days this past week that really wiped me.
The Reality: Being away from home most the day and cooking two of the 5 recipes intended.
The Kindness: I was able to eat lunch at a local vegan-friendly restaurant, see my sister, spend time with my man, purchase a much needed pair of tri bike shorts, and buy the ingredients needed for these recipes.
The Benefit: I received some news about my father today and cooking tonight was a way for me to think, get anger out, put my mind somewhere else for moments...

I went into the evening planning only to make the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups (CPBC). They are quick and easy and I have made them so many times that I almost don't need the recipe. I have made them for others using organic graham crackers but when I make them for myself I use Annie's Honey Bunny Grahams (I smash them in a baggie with a mini hammer- which was VERY therapeutic tonight). I also use brown rice syrup instead of the maple sugar (I have looked everywhere for maple sugar that doesn't cost a fortune). I use Vegan Carob Chips although I have used non-dairy chocolate chips for others but the carob chips just taste better to me (really!).

When the CPBC were chillin in the fridge I decided I might as well make the Moroccan Couscous with Saffron (minus the saffron). I followed the recipe up until it called for saffron threads and scallions. I used curry, turmeric, and a red spice I found in the cupboard that turned out to be real spicy! Thank goodness I like spicy.
The recipe, for the most part, was rather easy. When I read it I really didn't think it would be, but chopping the veggies made me feel like a real cook and while they roasted I could work on the veggie broth situation. I was thrilled when I mixed the broth and the veggies and couscous and the smell was familiar (to couscous dishes I have had in restaurants).
While the mixture "stood" for 15 minutes I was able to get the dished done! Bonus!
When I lifted the lid a lovely smell greeted me and, although I was not hungry, had a few forkfuls. Yum! Another pleasant and "kind" surprise!
While this was a great recipe, and I am eager to make the Barley Casserole, Hot Rice with Cold Lemon, Basil, and Tomatoes and the Coffee Fudge Brownies tomorrow, I know that cooking tomorrow will only temporarily take my mind off the reality of the situation.
I am so grateful for my followers and look forward to posting and reading your comments!

3 comments:

  1. Pics are great. Look just like mine! We did something right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! It was easier than I thought too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing the CPBC's tonight, and I don't have the maple sugar either. Chocolate is so forgiving don't you think?! Just got home from the grocery store and filled the fridge with pretty vegetables. I also enjoy all the chopping and prep work.

    ReplyDelete